- Main contributor
- KUHT-TV (Television station)
First segment is interview with Joe Darnall, General Counsel of the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission, Mike Griffin, bar owner and President of the Food and Beverage Association of Texas, and George Pickens, President of the Gulf Area Chapter of Mothers Against Drunk Driving, about the pros and cons of Happy Hour restrictions for Houston. Second segment is interview with residents of the Fourth Ward, Martha Whiting, property owner and granddaughter of Pastor Jack Yates, Gladys House, founder of the Freedmen's Town Association, and Rev. F. N. Williams II, of the Friendship Baptist Church and Secretary of the Freedmen's Town/Fourth Ward Neighborhood Association, about proposals to redevelop the Fourth Ward. Third segment is interview with Representative Larry Evans, who co-authored recent amendments to Fourth Ward tax zone laws, and John Mixon, Professor of Law at the University of Houston, about plans to finance Fourth Ward redevelopment as a tax increment zone. Fourth segment is interview with Gayle Fallon, President of the Houston Federation of Teachers, and Michael Nelson, President of the Houston Education Association, about issues facing Houston Independent School District (HISD) teachers. Fifth segment is interview with Barry Kumins, Manager of Environmental Affairs for Conoco, Brian Horne, Managing Director for TDI Services a toxic waste disposal company, and Laurel Brubaker Calkins, of the Houston Business Journal, about environmental concerns as we approach the 20th anniversary of Earth Day. Episode includes commentary from Garvin Berry of KTRH about Earth Day.
- Ryan, Pat; Weiss, Jeffrey; Houston, J. D.; Bowser, Betty Ann
- television programs
- Darnall, Joe; Griffin, Mike; Pickens, George; Whiting, Martha; House, Gladys M.; Williams, F. N., II; Evans, Larry; Mixon, John; Fallon, Gayle; Nelson, Michael; Kumins, Barry; Horne, Brian; Brubaker Calkins, Laurel; Berry, Garvin; Earth Day; Public television
- KUHT Film and Video
- University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
- ["In Copyright"]
- Physical Description
This item is from an archival collection and may contain content which is no longer politically or socially appropriate.
Digitization and access for this item is made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and Texas State Library and Archives Commission (2017).
- Other Identifiers
- Other: ID 1997-006a, AV Shelving; ArchivesSpace URI: https://findingaids.lib.uh.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/11856; Preservation Location: ark:/84475/pm8634sm24f; Digital Object: https://id.lib.uh.edu/ark:/84475/do610968329