- Main contributor
- KUHT-TV (Television station)
First segment includes highlights from the week's news, and interview with Elizabeth Spates, who challenged Leland in the last election, Representative Sylvester Turner, and David Jones, President of the Harris County Democratic Forum about Mickey Leland's untimely death and how it will impact politics in Houston. Second segment is interview with former Texas Secretary of State Jack Rains about his announcement that he'll be running for governor; he is joined by Almanac "Political Panel" members, Jane Ely, of the Houston Chronicle, and Former Mayor Jim McConn. Third segment is interview with Houston Police Department Assistant Chief, Tom Coby, and Tommy Britt, President of the Houston Police Patrolman's Union about varying emergency priority levels and Houston Police Department (HPD) response times. Fourth segment is interview with Mark Mucasey, apartment renovation architect, and Houston Fire Marshal, Eddie Corral, about the assessment of city inspectors that over half of the apartments in Houston do not meet the city's safety code. Fifth segment addresses concerns over whether "killer bees" are heading to Texas, and how the Houston Fire Department is preparing for it. Houston interviews Mike Warnke, from the Houston Fire Department, and professional beekeeper, Darrell Lister. Episode includes commentary from Eugene Mendoza from the Association for the Advancement of Mexican Americans about illiteracy in the United States, and increased literacy demands.
- Walko, Ann-Marie; Payne, Don; Houston, J. D.; Bowser, Betty Ann
- television programs
- Spates, Elizabeth; Turner, Sylvester; Jones, David A.; Leland, Mickey; Rains, Jack; Ely, Jane; McConn, Jim; Coby, Tom; Britt, Tommy; Mucasey, Mark; Corral, Eddie; Warnke, Mike; Lister, Darrell; Mendoza, Eugene; Africanized honeybee; Literacy; Public television
- KUHT Film and Video
- University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
- ["In Copyright"]
- Physical Description
This item is from an archival collection and may contain content which is no longer politically or socially appropriate.
Digitization and access for this item is made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and Texas State Library and Archives Commission (2017).
- Other Identifiers
- Other: ID 1997-006a, AV Shelving; ArchivesSpace URI: https://findingaids.lib.uh.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/11821; Preservation Location: ark:/84475/pm06149p45d; Digital Object: https://id.lib.uh.edu/ark:/84475/do7508hg60t