- Main contributor
- KUHT-TV (Television station)
In the first segment, Almanac's "Political Panel" of Richard W. Murray, Professor of Political Science at the University of Houston, Jane Ely, columnist for the Houston Chronicle, Garvin Berry, KTRH radio commentator, and Robert C. Newberry, columnist for the Houston Post, address the coming Western Economic Summit to be hosted by Houston. Second segment is interview with Professor William Cunningham from the University of St. Thomas who served as a member of the U. S. Foreign Service in Prague, and Gale Stokes, Professor of History at Rice University, about the changes happening to communism in Eastern Europe and what it means for the West. Third segment is interview with Dr. Rod Paige, Dean of the College of Education at Texas Southern University, a candidate in the Houston Independent School District Board runoff election. Fourth segment is interview with Shafik Rifaat, Professor of Architecture at the University of Houston, Barry Goodman, local transportation consultant and original Executive Director of Houston's MTA, and Leo Linbeck, Chief Executive Director of Linbeck Construction, about Houston MTA's recent vote to scrap plans for a rail system, and resultant interests in presenting privately funded railways. In the sixth segment, Houston talks sports with Alvin "Boom Boom" Jackson. Episode includes commentary from Kevin Dorsey.
- Ryan, Pat; Weiss, Jeffrey; Houston, J. D.; Bowser, Betty Ann
- television programs
- Murray, Richard W.; Ely, Jane; Berry, Garvin; Newberry, Robert C.; Cunningham, William; Stokes, Gale; Paige, Rod; Rifaat, Shafik; Goodman, Barry; Linbeck, Leo; Jackson, Alvin; Dorsey, Kevin; Communism; School elections; Public television
- KUHT Film and Video
- University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
- ["In Copyright"]
- Physical Description
This item is from an archival collection and may contain content which is no longer politically or socially appropriate.
Digitization and access for this item is made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and Texas State Library and Archives Commission (2017).
- Other Identifiers
- Other: ID 1997-006a, AV Shelving; ArchivesSpace URI: https://findingaids.lib.uh.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/11836; Preservation Location: ark:/84475/pm4914nm542; Digital Object: https://id.lib.uh.edu/ark:/84475/do1945cc56s