- Main contributor
- KUHT-TV (Television station)
This is Almanac's one year anniversary episode, and Kevin Dorsey provides commentary on changes that have taken place in Houston over the year. The first segment is a debate about having another rail vote, with Mayor Kathy Whitmire and Houston City Controller George Greanias. After the first segment, Jane Ely of the Houston Chronicle provides commentary on Almanac and its viewers. The second segment is a discussion on school funding with Prof. Robert Stein of Rice University, and Robert C. Newberry of the Houston Post. After the second segment, Garvin Berry of Houston Community Newspapers provides commentary on commercial television versus public television. The third segment is a discussion with Sydney Singer, a student at the University of Texas Medical Branch in Galveston, and Dr. K. Lemone Yielding, Vice President of Research at UTMB about animal research and experiments done on animals. After the third segment, Laurel Brubaker Calkins provides commentary on the things she likes about Almanac. The fourth segment is a discussion about Memorial Day with Gary Thomas, President Emeritus of the Brotherhood of Vietnam Veterans, Inc. After this segment, Alvin "Boom Boom" Jackson provides commentary on the success of Almanac and compares it to "fast news" programs.
- Ryan, Pat; Weiss, Jeffrey; Houston, J. D.; Bowser, Betty Ann
- television programs
- Olson, Joseph A.; McCoy, Walter; Pierce, Sam; Eisenberg, Nat; Steffes, Dale W.; Brubaker Calkins, Laurel; Blevins, Wayne; Magner, George; Lane, Neal F.; Stein, Robert; Murray, Richard W.; Newberry, Robert C.; Aaron, John; Craig, Mark; Oberg, Alcestis; Greanias, George C.; City planning; Public television
- KUHT Film and Video
- University of Houston Libraries Special Collections
- ["In Copyright"]
- Physical Description
This item is from an archival collection and may contain content which is no longer politically or socially appropriate.
Digitization and access for this item is made possible by a grant from the U.S. Institute of Museum and Library Services and Texas State Library and Archives Commission (2017).
- Other Identifiers
- Other: ID 1997-006a, AV Shelving; ArchivesSpace URI: https://findingaids.lib.uh.edu/repositories/2/archival_objects/11859; Preservation Location: ark:/84475/pm7064tk57z; Digital Object: https://id.lib.uh.edu/ark:/84475/do6245q964t